The heat and humidity we get here in Florida during the summer is no joke, and your air conditioner probably becomes your best friend when the temperature starts to rise. You want your air conditioner to be able to keep you as cool and comfortable as possible all summer long, so take these seven steps to take better care of your system.
- Change your air filters—When was the last time you changed your air filters? This is a cheap and easy DIY task that can make a big difference when it comes to your AC system’s efficiency and functionality.
- Clean your air ducts—Your air ducts could be clogged with dirt, debris, pet dander, dust, and other buildup. Have them cleaned to make sure cooled air can freely flow through your home.
- Clean your exterior compressor—Remove any weeds, grass, or dead leaves covering up your outdoor compressor. You should also make sure nothing is blocking your compressor that could inhibit proper air flow.
- Seal air leaks—Your doors and windows could be leaking cooled air without you even realizing it. Do an inspection of your exterior doors and all your windows and seal any cracks or gaps with spray foam or caulking to prevent air loss.
- Block out the sun—While natural light is great, it can heat up your home faster during the summer, forcing your air conditioner to work harder. Block out this light during peak times with blinds or curtains.
- Complete needed repairs—If there’s something wrong with your AC unit, don’t ignore the problem. Get it fixed as soon as you can, so your system can start working like it should again.
- Schedule a tune-up—The start of the summer is a good time to schedule an AC tune-up with us. We’ll clean your system, lubricate the fans, tighten all your electrical connections, and more.